Top Ten Giving Questions
1) What are [OV]Church’s views about money?
God owns everything! Psalm 24:1, “The Earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world and all who live in it.” Visit the Next Steps table for some resources on giving.
2) Where does [OV]Church get its income?
God provides for us through tithes and offerings of members and attendees. We do not receive income from outside denominational entities. The income we receive comes in electronically and by cash and check.
3) What is the difference between a tithe and an offering?
A tithe is giving the first 10% of your gross income as defined by Malachi 3:10 and affirmed by Jesus in Matthew 22:21. An offering is anything given above and beyond the tithe.
4) How do I give to [OV]Church?
- Sunday morning offering (cash, check)
- Bank draft (ACH) enrollment
- Bill Pay option from your bank
- Online (Bank draft, Debit or Credit Card) - see the button at the top of this page
- [OV]Church mobile app - get the app using the links at the bottom of this page
- Mail your gift to the church office
Ocean View Church
c/o Finance Team
9504 Selby Place
Norfolk, VA 23503
5) Does [OV]Church give to missions?
Yes. In some ways, all that you give to [OV]Church goes to the mission of God. Specifically, because we are a Southern Baptist Church, we support the Cooperative Program (CP), which is the largest cooperative mission organization in the world. CP giving from over 40,000 church supports international missions, North American missions and 6 SBC seminaries.
[OV]Church has an exclusive partnership with and church planting organization called Mission Coalition India. We send them monthly support to train church planters and take trips to India every year. Locally, we support Renaissance Movement Music, whose mission is to reach the urban areas of our city with the gospel through music.
6) Does [OV]Church send contribution notices to its tithers and givers?
Yes. Contribution notices are sent annually at the beginning of the year. However, with a simple phone call or email to the church office, our Financial Administrator will provide you with a current statement.
7) Does [OV]Church offer financial coaching?
Yes. Our financial team is equipped to help individuals and families develop a plan for their finances. For more information on financial coaching, email us at email@example.com.
8) Does [OV]Church have a budget?
Yes. [OV]Church’s budget is set every fall for the following year based on the goals and objectives of each ministry area within the church.
9) What are [OV]Church’s financial accountability standards?
[OV]Church’s finance department is held accountable by a firm set of internal controls and is required to generate an official CPA annual report based on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
10) Does [OV]Church have a report showing where all the money goes?
Yes. An annual report is available every year. There is also an updated report released at each of our quarterly family business meetings.